Although the role of the psychologist will vary depending on the person who is seeking help and their specific needs, generally with cancer, the psychologist’s role is to help the patient and/or caregiver dealing with emotions as well as helping to promote an adaptive response to the disease/circumstances:
- Help understanding the diagnosis
- Reducing distress, anxiety or other states of change
- Provide the patient with a sense of control and participation in his life.
- Assist in the development of effective strategies to deal with the different stages and changes caused by the disease (example, physical changes; daily changes etc).
- Provide tools to improve communication between couples and/or patient and caregivers
- Assist in grief situations